Saturday 19 October 2013

He's Still "Riding" Life

Last year, my son Scott rode from the north to the south of South America. He is a dreamer, a darer with some hearty lashes of craziness.
He also could be, should be a writer.
His writing has a twist, a quirk, some joie de vivre.

That glittering writing style was evident in his blog posts
about his daily experiences on the Andes Trail 2012.

This year, glimpses of his style are like snapshots on his Facebook posts.
Mum (me) decided to keep a record
here.



2012 ended with these thoughts on Facebook:

December 18 - It was excellent to ride in to Ushuaia Anna! Had been waiting for that day for over 2 years. In a way it's also bittersweet. It's not like school, say bye, see you next year. It's just bye in many cases.
December 19 - Bless me father for I have sinned, it has been 3 days since my last bike ride. Going stir crazy!
December 24 - Oh crap, a Santa suit has appeared on the bed.
December 31 - Oh wow. Just found an Argentinian style heladeria right near my sister's place. The owners are Argentinian. Complete with the spoons I always snap and dulce de leche ice cream. I'm going to have to step up how km's I ride...


2013 began with these thoughts on Facebook:

January 12 - Have found my next Bag End. Move in next weekend, such a relief! On an acre too
January 18 - New toy new toy new toy! 4G phone samsung galaxy S III. Wow it's quick. 45Mbps download, 14Mbps upload. Excuse me while I go geek out. Just as well, not going anywhere with all the trains stuck due to the heat! Boo for cityfail, I mean cityrail!
January 19 - For the first time since July, when I used my toothbrush I didn't have to pack it away. Such a simple and gratifying thing.

February 5 The jersey files. Viva el jersey!
Some say the jersey must go. I say the jersey is an all purpose shirt that still has some threads left. The jersey began its life as a momento of my stay at International House on campus at the University of Wollongong 1999
February 23 - Definitely a day to stay inside. The ducks wandering through my backyard said so.

March 11 - The simple things in life are the best. Using my new toy, a 1700 lumen bright light to show the way when riding the mountain bike at night is even better. I was able to dodge the suicidal wombat!

April 26 - Joy happiness and wonderment. Finally got my bike. Delivered with barely enough petrol to get to the station running on reserve, after that... oh life is good.

May 4 - I can feel a geek episode coming on. A ride to Questacon and Tidbinbilla is calling. A new toy and holidays is a great combination.
May 5 - The geek session is coming to a close. A coffee at the top of Telstra tower overlooking Canberra aint a bad place to be.
May 18 - What is the definition of an addiction? I can't stay off the bike! I've even been looking forward to going to the office through Sydney traffic. 4500km in 2 weeks...

June 2 - Went for a ride on the motorbike after the rains have cleared only leaving rainbows. Dropped in to a pub listening to blues over a hot coffee, then back out, I was reminded how this corner of the world is a beautiful place to explore and revisit. Ah the happiness. People often comment on here all things about their lives that others don't care to know. I don't care if you don't care...life is good.
June 8 - Here goes another 500km loop. Highlands to middle of nowhere to coast and back. How can I get a career doing this?!

July 2 - Thanks to all for the birthday messages and calls. It really is appreciated.
A great day. Lunch out bush, fun roads, going to a planetarium for the first time, coffee by the beach, then an excellent dinner and cake with family, add some amusing conversation and life's pretty good.
What does it mean when a person forgets how old they are, and have to work it out though?
July 12 - Remember eat in pizza hut with all you can eat? Found one! Remember their bacon bits? Gone! GONE! The tragedy!
July 14 - After a 1000km day yesterday, wake up and decide "just go down the road for breakfast". Off to Fitzroy Falls. Nice area, decide to explore previously unvisited roads, so through Wildes Meadow, Burrawang, on to Robertson, back roads to Marist Brothers vineyard for a coffee. Hmm...not done yet. Back via Yerrinbool, Thirlmere. Nah, too close to home! Onward to Nattai overlooking Burragorang Valley that you see here. Then back home. A 200km ride for breakfast. Now that's how you procrastinate from mowing!

No comments: